Sunday, December 5, 2010

Funerals are so much better!

My dear friend passed away a couple months ago. Doing the flowers for her funeral was a great reminder of why I prefer doing funeral flowers rather than wedding flowers. Here are my top 10 reasons why doing funeral flowers is better than wedding flowers:

10. BIG pieces - not a million little corsages and bouts. Other than the bouts and corsages for family and pall bearers, it's all big stuff.

9. No time for being picky or changing your mind. Sharron's family called me about 9pm on Wednesday night. I picked up the flowers Thursday and built that day and the next. Drove them down Friday for the viewing that night and funeral the next day.

8. People are open to my ideas. They generally haven't spent a bunch of time planning every detail of the flowers (like they do with a wedding), and even if they have given it some thought I can usually give some creative input. Sharron's was a great mixture of stuff the family wanted and ideas I was able to bring to the table.

Her hubby wanted this arrangement of 44 long-stemmed red roses with standard greenery and baby's breath (her favorite arrangement) to recognize their 44 years of marrige.

Her daughter wanted this all white with greenery arrangement. She had seen a picture of something similar and fell in love with it.

With a white casket with pink interior, I was able to recommend different flowers that come in all different shades of pink for the casket saddle.

7. You get to use the flowers as an outlet to honor the person. Wedding flowers are rarely personalized. In fact, the only time I think I've ever personalized wedding flowers was for my cousin. Thank heaven she was NOT your typical bride!!

6. Because all people are different, the creative possibilities are endless! No cookie cutter arrangements (ie. Floating flowers in a bowl. Ugh! I am so over that!!)

Sharron was always saying "Bummer," so some of her grand kids called her "Bumma". The older ones called her the more text-friendly "Gma". So I made this wreath that says "Bumma" on top...


...and "Gma" down inside the heart...

The gerber daisies represented her grandchildren - all white for the grand sons, white with pink centers for the grand daughters. Then after the whole thing was over they each took "their" gerber daisy out and took it with them as a little keepsake.

5. You get to use your skill to comfort people who stand in need of comfort. And isn't that one of the best reasons we're here?

4. The family can preserve the flowers afterward to create mementos of their loved one to keep forever. You can preserve them intact and make shadowboxes with pictures and other keepsakes. You can disassemble the flowers and press them to use on bookmarks or other such items.

3. You get to constantly incorporate new ideas as you meet new people with new personalities.

2. People are so traumatized over their loss that they are thrilled with whatever you make! No bridezillas greeting you at the door picking over everything you've made!!

1. When someone I love passes, or someone that I love loses someone they love, I can do the flowers as a service to them to show my love and appreciation for them. When my cousin died I learned that in a time of trial everyone just needs to do whatever it is they can do. And if we all do that, then all the bases are covered. Everyone has something different to offer. So as long as we all give of ourselves, then everything works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment